If you are not married or in a registered partnership, your partner is not automatically recognised as the father of your child.

erkenningThis means that he does not have any rights (yet) regarding the (unborn) child. If you do want this, it is important to acknowledge the baby during the pregnancy. You can do this by going to the registry office together and having it recorded there that you are the parents. Try to do this before 24 weeks of pregnancy. Please make an appointment in advance at the Civil Affairs department.

1. Civil Affairs

If the recognition is arranged during pregnancy, your partner can simply register the baby after birth.

More about recognition

2. Apply for parental authority

If the recognition is arranged, it is important that you apply for parental authority for your child together. You can arrange this after your child is born. The civil registrar will give you more information about this during the registration.